Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nevermore

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

My rating:  2/5
Summary (from Goodreads):  Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game.

Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind.

Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.



My review:

Before I start actually reviewing this book, I'd like to say that I didn't actually finish Nevermore.  I got about a hundred pages to the end, so around page 450, but then I decided to give up on it.  


When I started Nevermore, I loved it.  The writing was good, the words flowing together.  Unfortunately, I couldn't stay interested.  The characters were fine, the writing style was perfect, and so was the description and setting, but the plot?  I found that it was very slow.  I was at page 350 by the time anything interesting started happening.


So what happened, that I lost interest, if I managed to get to the major plot point?  Answer: the major plot point wasn't anything major.  Lots of stuff was happening, yes, but it was all going so quickly that I had no idea what was happening.  I was reading each page a couple times over, trying to follow along, but it all seemed so crammed together that I couldn't quite tell.


I couldn't decide whether to give Nevermore two or two and a half stars, because even though I did quit reading it, I managed to get really far into it.  Maybe sometime I'll try it again; see if I like it any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!