Thursday, June 30, 2011

Solid

Solid by Shelley Workinger

Publisher: CreateSpace
Release date: July 9th 2010
Pages: 221
Source: eBook for review from author
Summary (from Goodreads): Teens who discover they were secretly genetically altered before birth are brought together at a classified site where they forge new friendships, find love, develop "super-abilities," and even unearth a conspiracy.

 My review:

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started Solid.  The cover gave off a sort of dark vibe, and so did the prologue, but once I started getting into it I found that it wasn't.  The setting,I thought, was great.  I liked the campus a lot because, like the main character Clio, I love the outdoors.  Most of the time, they were in the fresh air for their lessons, or out in the forest.

I enjoyed reading about each of the characters. I really liked Clio, mostly because she was very easy to relate to.  Jack was great, too, and really sweet!  He even made a constellation out of lights in his bedroom for Clio. The other main characters, other friends of Clio's, were really good too.  They had believable personalities, and although one was a bit of a snob, I liked her because there are people like her in life and normally they have something nicer underneath.

The plot was a little bit slow in the beginning, but I was really enjoying Shelley's style of writing, so I got through the first two chapters and started to get quite interested.  By the end I could barely put the book down because I wanted to know what would happen. Some parts of the ending were surprises and other parts confirmed what I had been suspecting for a little while. As long as there's some sort unexpected twist at the end I'll be happy, so that was perfect for me.


Solid is definitely a book that I would recommend, so even if you aren't enjoying it in the start, make sure to just keep reading and you'll hopefully end up loving it like I did!

My rating:
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 4.5/5
Writing: 5/5
Originality: 4/5


In total,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!