Monday, March 26, 2012

Slide

Slide by Jill Hathaway

My rating: 5/5
Publisher: Balzer + Bray for HarperCollins
Pages: 256
Release date: March 27th 2012
Source: ARC Tour
Summary (from Goodreads): Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.


My review: Slide was an amazing debut that was suspenseful and kept me flipping the pages as quickly as I could. I read Slide all in one sitting, and enjoyed every word of it.

The idea of Slide was very interesting: if Vee touches objects that belong to someone else, she later can 'slide' into their head and see what they're doing. When she slides into the head of the murderer of her sister's friend, she knows it isn't the suicide the police are claiming it to be. Slide was a great mystery, and I was never quite sure of who the murderer was. The way that Slide was written, I was constantly guessing on who it could be but was never right.

I loved the characters in Slide. Vee made a very interesting person to read about because of how she's always trying to keep herself separated from everyone around her. She only has one friend, Rollins, but she knows he'll think she's crazy if she tells him what really happens when she passes out. All through the book I found myself wondering what was happening with Rollins that was making him act so different, and it came as a big surprise to me when I did eventually find out.

Slide was an amazing, book, and if you're a fan of mysteries, I would definitely recommend this one!

4 comments:

  1. Slide is the debut young adult novel of author Jill Hathaway. Hathaway delivers a suspenseful murder mystery complete with twists, romance and a unique paranormal ability. Slide was an enjoyable read and I got caught up in solving the mystery. I was able to finish this in just a few hours and found it to be a delightfully suspenseful tale. The protagonist is Vee Bell. She suffers from narcolepsy. (A disease that causes a person to fall asleep, anywhere at any time) This would be a horrible problem to deal with for anyone, but Vee has an even bigger problem. When she has an episode she slides. Sliding causes her to slip into someone else’s mind and experience what that person is experiencing through their eyes. Vee has learned that this occurs when she is touching an object that the other person owns or touched. As a result, she is very careful not to touch things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I wish I could "slide". Although, I guess it would have it's advantages and disadvantages. So I guess that I would like it if I had full control over it and choose who I slide into. I like your review and will have to check this book out! Sounds pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! this looks soooo good. I love mysteries!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally a good book to read! Your review was cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!