Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 324
Release date: June 7th 2010
Source: Library
Summary (from Goodreads):  Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead. Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

My review:  I'd only read one book with a take on a fairytale before this, and that was Beastly, which I loved.  Sisters Red was easily just as good!  Before I even started reading it, my expectations were high, because I had heard many positive things about this book, I love the cover, and I love the name. And did it ever live up to the high expectations I set!

There were many great things about Sisters Red, starting with the characters.  They were all great, all so full of life.  In the beginning, I liked Scarlett more, but as I got farther, I liked Rosie a lot more.  I found Scarlett to be too overprotective, and was a little disgusted by how much she loved killing the Fenris.  That isn't to say that I didn't like her, though. While I didn't like these characteristics, I found them very realistic, and I don't think that the story would have been quite so interesting without her being like that.  Rosie was sweet.  That's the only way I can describe her.  She seemed younger than she actually was, which made her very likable. Often I find that characters seem older than they actually are, so that was a nice change.

I loved the storyline in Sisters Red.  It never had a dull moment, keeping you interested and wanting to know what was going on.  Even though it wasn't actually exciting, I was also interested in some of the classes that Rosie took without her sister's permission.  I supported the fact that she was doing what she wanted, not just what she felt she should do for her sister.  It seemed as though Rosie was having her own revolution.

Sisters Red was gruesome, but in a good way.  While it did describe the attacks from the Fenris and the fights in fairly detailed description, I didn't feel as though Jackson Pearce was overdoing it.  It reminded me a bit like The Hunger Games in that aspect of the book.  My favourite part was the very end; that battle had me excited and unable to put the book down.  Sisters Red was a great read, and I can't wait for Sweetly to be released!


Rating:
Characters: 4.5/5
Plot: 5/5
Originality: 5/5
Writing: 4.5/5


              Bubbles!
Overall,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!