Saturday, February 26, 2011

Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

My rating:  4.5/5
Summary (from Goodreads):  Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


My review:  I loved the characters, I  loved the plot and action, I loved the descriptive writing, my favourite thing about the book being how beautifully it was written.


So why only 4.5/5?  I felt that it was too similar to a couple other books that I've read.  Matched was the book it especially reminded me of, because of the way the regulators decided who they would marry, and the way that the government in charge had lied to them.  It also reminded me of Uglies a bit, because at a certain age they have something done to their brains that doesn't let them think for themselves.


But let me concentrate on the good things about the book (almost everything).  Again, I must bring up my thoughts about how it was written, like it was a poem or a song, it was so lyrically written.  It all flowed together amazingly.  


I loved Alex from the very beginning.  He was so good at hiding what he really was, which was quite a clever thing to do.  As the book went on, I saw more and more secrets inside of him.  Lena was also a great main character, mostly because she had a lot of depth; she was very believable.  One some layers, she was very sad, because of what happened to her mother when she was very young.  On others, she was happy, emotional, and loving, even though she should have been.  I loved how much trouble it was for her and Alex to see each other, because sometimes that would end in something awkward, like the time they got stuck in the storeroom with Lena's friend Hana, and someone almost came in and found her in there with a boy, which is strictly forbidden.


I really did love Delirium, and the ending is just killing me!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a unique plot! The idea that love can be cured. I'll have to check out the book next time I'm at the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also gave this one a 4.5. It's really good, but to be a 5, it's got to be the best. I also liked the characters and am dying to read the sequel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for following me! How are you liking Last Sacrifice? I just finished it: amazing!
    Brilliant review, I'm loving Delirium so far!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!