Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

My rating:  4/5
Summary (from Goodreads):  Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My review:  Most people say Across the Universe is a science fiction novel, but it's not, really.  It does take place on a ship in space, but you never really think about the fact that they're on that ship too much, you're more thinking about who's trying to murder the people that are frozen.

There weren't very many of them, but I loved the characters.  There were only four that the book really focused on, and all the others were just in the background.  The story was set in the view of both Elder and Amy, switching to the other one when you start a new chapter.  I can't quite decide who I liked more, because they're so different.  Elder knew all about life at that time, and knew what all the different things were, such as the Feeders, and Keepers, and Shippers.  Meanwhile, Amy was trying to figure everything out, because life was so different there than it was on earth.   I loved hearing both sides of view.

The plot took quite a while to get me going, unfortunately, but nearing the end, I couldn't put the book down.  I needed to know who was killing those people, and I wouldn't stop reading until I did.  For a long time, I thought it was one person (not saying who!), but it turned out to be someone else entirely.  Plus, in the last chapters, there was a little twist that I couldn't believe. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!