Friday, November 26, 2010

Wings

Wings by Aprilynne Pike


My rating: 4/5
Summary (from Goodreads):  Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.



My review:

I couldn't stop flipping the pages, one after another, once I started.  I just kept on going, on and on and on.

What a weird twist on faeries.  Flowers?  Plants?  Really?  Those were my first thoughts.  I was doubtful, but also intrigued.  I wanted to know more about why she had a growing lump on her back.

Unfortunately, none of the characters really jumped out at me. Laurel was a pretty good character, but one of the only reasons why I liked her was because of her helplessness about the flower on her back.  David was okay too, but he wasn't that great.  I wasn't quite sure how to imagine him: interesting or a nerd.  I think that he was a bit of a geek, because of his love of school, and, more specifically, science, especially Laurel.  But he also seemed pretty cool.  His attitude wasn't nerdy, like I would have expected, more gentle, calm, and helpful.  I have mixed feelings about him.

Tamani.  He was. . . strange.  At first I didn't like him.  In fact, I didn't even like to read about him.  The only reason that I liked the parts he was in was because he gave Laurel the answers that she needed.  By the end of the book, I didn't mind him so much, but he honestly wasn't my favourite character.

The plot was good.  There was rising action all the way through when there was a lump on her back, and past when she grew a flower, right to the very end, and the part where she finds out she was a plant was quite interesting to read about.  I couldn't put it down until I found out her past, and also why she didn't have a heart or blood.

Before the last page, I knew that I would definitely want to read the whole series, which I still need to do.    Again, I have to say that I love the twist on regular faerie tales!  And I'm so so so so so so glad that there's a faerie book out there that isn't the same as  all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!