Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr






My rating:  4/5
Summary (from Goodreads):  All teenagers have problems, but few of them can match those of Aislinn, who has the power to see faeries. Quite understandably, she wishes that she could share her friends' obliviousness and tries hard to avoid these invisible intruders. But one faery in particular refuses to leave her alone. Keenan the Summer King is convinced beyond all reasoning that Aislinn is the queen he has been seeking for nine centuries. What's a 21st-century girl to do when she's stalked by a suitor nobody else can see? A debut fantasy romance for the ages; superlative summer read.


My review:

Just from the front cover, this book already looked interesting.  The first few pages didn't grab my attention, but the rest of the book did.

The main character has the Sight, and is able to see faeries.  I do and don't envy her that.  As fun as it would be to have the ability to see another world of different creatures, it would be a huge burden to carry, seeing all the horrible things that the faeries do.

The reason that Wicked Lovely doesn't rate 5 stars is the characters.  Keenan was the worst.  Being the Summer King, I would have thought that he'd be a kind, lighthearted person. But he wasn't.  All he tried to do was make his court the best, therefore earning Aislinn's love.  He was selfish and greedy.  Aislinn was a fairly good main character, but I got mixed feelings from her.  Did she want this or did she want that?  Does she love him or does she love him?  I wasn't quite sure what the author wanted to say.  The character that I liked the most was Donia, a Winter Faerie.  The main reason I liked her is because I felt bad for her.  She was always subject to the will of the Winter Queen, Beira.  Beira was cruel, heartless, and cold.  I was sorry for her; Beira is not someone I would want to have control over me.

The plot was great, and so was the description.  In my mind I could see every little thing that was happening, especially in the last battle scene at the end, where the Winter and Summer king were fighting.  The plot lead up to that well, increasing my need to get to the end.

When I finished, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!