Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye

What happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Publisher: Penguin Young Readers
Pages: 402
Release date: May 10th 2011
Source: received as gift
Summary (from Goodreads): In the past two years, Mclean Sweet has moved four times. At each stop, she assumes a new persona, but it never quite works. Whether she's an effervescent cheerleader or an intense drama queen, nothing can permanently dispel the turmoil and rage at her mother since her parents' divorce. Sarah Dessen's novel about a teenager and her restaurant manager father captures the vulnerability that young people often experience after the dissolution of their family. A compelling story; strong characterization; and with a touch of romance.




 My review: 

I love Sarah Dessen.  This is the sixth book I've read by her, and it definitely won't be the last.  I love everything in her books; however, I'm starting to feel as though they're a little repetitive.


In every single one of her books that I've read so far, the plot is basically the same.  In each one, either the girl's parents are divorced, or one is dead.  She therefore does not believe in love and won't let herself get attache to anyone.  Also, haven't we seen the food storyline before, in The Truth About Forever?

That aside, I loved the book.  What isn't to love?  The characters are not only was easy to relate to, but seem real as well.  The story is told in just the right amount of pages, which was perfect.  It didn't trail off, keeping me waiting and bored, but it wasn't told to quickly with the climax stuffed in at the end. 

There's not much I can say other than that.  I thought that once again Sarah Dessen had mastered the descriptions in the book so that it wasn't too long and there's wasn't too little.  My only complaint is that the end seemed to jump too much and wasn't really explained.

I have no more words, other than that What Happened to Goodbye was amazing, just like all her other books.  Definitely one I would recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!