Friday, June 10, 2011

The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Publisher: Harper (HarperCollins)
Pages: 359
Source: Received as gift
Summary (from Goodreads): Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet. 



My review: There is so much I can say about Kelley Armstrong's writing, but I can sum it up in one word: amazing.  There's so much I like about it.


The thing that really stands out to me in Kelley's books is the humor cleverly weaved in.  It doesn't come across as a particularly funny book as your reading it, then suddenly you realize that your laughing in in the most serious parts.  This reminded me a lot of her last book trilogy.  I'm having a hard time deciding which one I liked more, but I think I am leaning towards her last one, but just barely.  The only reason I say that is because I loved Derek, and I don't particularly like Daniel or Rafe.


Having said that, though, I admit that the characters really jumped out to me.  While I never found some of them, like Sam and Rafe, particularly likable it was made up by their realism.  Maya was an excellent main character, with the just the right mix of great and annoying things about her.  Every step she took was like one of my own.


I'm very indecisive about the plot of the book.  At some points I thought it was too fast, at some points I thought it was too slow.  In the end though, I hadn't even considered putting it down at all, so it endedi up being fine.  The main climax at the end of the book was well-paced; not too short, not too long.


All I can say is that if you haven't read anything by Kelley Armstrong, I suggest that you do that now!


My rating:
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Originality: 5/5


In total,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading each one of your comments! If you leave a link to your blog, I'm happy to come check it out!